No Spend October?
What is the first thing that comes to mind when you read this? Horror, fear, excitement? Could you go a whole month without spending unnecessarily?
I felt excitement when I saw this theme happening on a financial website I follow. No spend October. I am totally in.
I am not asking you to not spend any money in October but try to only buy things that are a necessity. This exercise will help you determine whether what you are purchasing is a necessity or a want.
So much of our spending is not necessary. We are constantly brainwashed with marketing that is driven to convince us of things that we need to feel happy in our lives. I don’t believe we need things to make us happy.
One of my favourite quotes is –
“ Happiness isn’t about getting what you want all the time. It’s about loving what you have and being grateful for it”
Wouldn’t life seem so much simpler if we lived by this philosophy? I believe that it would.
For NO SPEND OCTOBER the rules I am following are this:
- Spend money only on necessities (ex, bills,food, healthcare products,medical etc.)
- Use what is in your pantry, freezer, cupboards first before buying something
- Get outside and do free activities, hiking, beach walks, sports
- Look around your house, are there things you could sell that your not using? Declutter!
- Don’t drive as much as your normally would, question where you are going and if you need to and if you can possibly take public transit
These are some simple idea’s that you can use for No Spend October. Leave your bank cards and credit cards at home.
Let’s save some money this month! Let’s bring you closer to your financial goals!
I will keep you posted on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/lindaparmarcoachingon how my month is going.